Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Worry much?

I read a blog post this morning, a simple, short post. It may be what I needed to change my life entirely.

First of all, here is a link to said blog post, it is short and sweet, an easy read- From Enjoyparenting.com

Well? Life changing, right? For me, it just may be. I worry. I worry ALL.THE.TIME. I obsess, I dramatize, I CREATE anxiety within my self. Now, it is true that my nature tends to be more emotional and "feely" and of course I'm not referring to anxiety disorder or panic attacks, which I feel are very organic in nature, and come on even without conscious provoking thoughts. I'm speaking today more of my thought processes, the ideas I have control over. My broken records. These thoughts, mainly centered around my parenting, can overwhelm and welcome physical anxiety symptoms. These thoughts are repetitive, recurring, and consistant.

The above blog post gave great advice about being "confidently uncertain," basically admitting to yourself that you're unsure about what you're doing, but affirming that you think it is likely the right thing to do, and that you can and will figure it out, make it work, live on.

By changing my nightly mantra from "I'm afraid I'm ruining my kids" to "I'm unsure what I'm doing, but it seems to be working, and I'm confident we'll figure this out" I think I may be able to master some of my habitual anxiety.

Do you have broken records? What are you telling yourself? Can you tweak those messages into healthier affirmations? -A

No comments:

Post a Comment